Saturday, May 9, 2009

Packing Jitters

Instead of packing and cleaning like I should be, I decided to sit down with a hot cup of Folger's Caramel Drizzle coffee and blog for a bit. I've found myself in a stalling pattern so to speak when it comes to this packing business. Not because the excitement factor is not through the roof, but because I get overwhelmed when I look at my to-do lists. I suppose I've convinced myself that once I begin organizing all of this stuff, I will get too overwhelmed to carry on. This way, I just sit and put it out of my mind! For those of you that have been through this process, it is no news that we have made about a zillion trips to Target and Wal Mart to buy various things for Addis. Needless to say, the items aren't on my usual route, so I have to look and ponder more carefully! I've been found to stand for what seems like ever comparing formula brands, Vitamin D contents, Puffed Snacks (who knew these existed??) and outifts small enough to fit our little Micah. Dennis even brought a tape measure over from the tools section to measure just exactly how long 25 inches really is! I thought I'd summarize our last two weeks in this fashion:

Top 10 Packing Dilemmas (in order of course, because I'm way OCD)

10. Do I pack outfits according to cuteness factor or practicality? I have ALWAYS felt the need for both. Suffice it to say...the kid has clothes!
9. With the horror stories of scabies, how many hundreds of tubes of ointment do I need? I've nearly begun bathing myself in it and I've not even left yet!
8. Is it horrible of me to want to take my lip gloss collection? Seriously, aren't we also supposed to look our best? My mom always preached that to me.
7. Men, although absolutely wonderful, have a different appreciation for necessities. While I'm more concerned with health and beauty, Dennis is more concerned with looking at cool flashlights, head lamps and lanterns in the camping section. Headlamps??
6. Let's just be honest, can one ever pack enough wet wipes even if they aren't traveling across the ocean? I swear I have 30 pounds of these alone.
5. Snacks...such a vital issues with me. I'm one of those grazer types who eats a little bit all day. I'm obsessed with not getting sick on the food over there. So I need to either fast for 10 days, (not happening) or take 100 pounds of food. (also not practical) Will trail mix and Easy Mac really do the trick?
4. This whole accordion-style file folder makes me nauseated. I've carefully labeled with one of my Sharpies (also an OCD issue) every section and copied and checked and rechecked. I'm thinking of duct-taping it to Dennis so I don't misplace it. Since it's "hardware" related he may go for it.
3. Diapers. Need I really say more???
2. Okay, the gifts for the nanny and other workers are freaking me out. I REALLY want to bring something special for Micah's nanny. Other than that...where do we draw the line? I'm just being honest. I really would like to take gifts for over 30 people, but....
1. I'm just going to get this off my chest. Shoes. Ladies, we realize it's a sickness. Do I go cute? Practical? (way boring) Color matching? A few or a lot? I know I need to go into my prayer closet and sort this out with Jesus.

Now that I've wasted a few more packing minutes, my Caramel Drizzle is gone and I'm headed for a refill. I have 11 days to get myself in order. Woah!

1 comment:

  1. I am cracking up at your top 10 list. I was right there a year ago. Glad you are finally on the way. We'll be watching your blog. Hopefully you'll have internet.

    ReplyDelete